10 June 2019

24/05/2019 Campbeltown Festival 2019 (Day 2 -- Part 2) Cadenhead's Lucky-Dip Bar

This one is in the tent in front of the Glengyle distillery. Again, an activity I have never taken part in, the previous years. The concept of a lucky-dip bar, for those who are not familiar with it, is simple: pay a fixed price, get n random drinks (three, in this case, via raffle-style tickets). Not the sort of things that rocks my boat, usually, but Cadenhead has unfathomable stocks, so it could be a lot of fun. Oh! and Mark Watt shared a picture of a Banff sample that went into the lot, so everyone is hoping to be lucky. :-)

End up with the three on the left

Finally manage to share a 1955 Glenlochy with MG

We spend time with the French, the Swiss(no-sky), OO and others. OO offers a Foursquare rum that I take no notes for.

Because I know it quite well

As it turns out, JS is not lucky at all: one Strathmill, An Irish, and a rum, (I even take no notes at all, for the rum -- the day becomes a bit blurry, here). No bad drops by any means, simply stuff we have already had -- sister casks thereof, I mean.

Things turn slightly messy

Strathmill 25yo d.1991 (unknown ABV, Cask Sample, 2143): yeah, the juice is poured from samples, and the descriptions are that vague. I do not even know if 2143 is a cask number. Nose: soft and fruity, it has plums and jelly. Mouth: acidic, fruity, the palate sees grapes and plum juice. Finish: long, velvety, soft and gentle. I detect more plums and prune juice. As usual, a good Strathmill, but that is no surprise. 7/10

Classic Rum d.2011 (unknown ABV, Cask Sample, C#16/V397-6)

Irish Whisky d.2006 (unknown ABV, Cask Sample, C#16/112-7): another soft number this one smells like bread and is pretty cereal-y. Mouth: simple with some orchard fruit, white bread and a creamy/yoghurt-y texture. Finish: warm, reminiscent of meadows and grass, it has yellow flowers and... potato skins. Excellent as an apéritif. Notice how Cadenhead misspelled whiskey... 8/10

I am offered this:

Port Charlotte 8yo 2001/2010 Port Sgioba (66%, OB Private Cask, Sherry Hogshead, C#826/2001, 286b, b#052): I immediately wonder if I have had it before -- perhaps in Toulouse? Indeed, I have. Nose: leather lard, smoky butter, farmyard. Mouth: big, smoky, buttery and lard-loaded. Finish: unsurprisingly, it squashes all in its path with a high ABV and an onslaught of leather, butter, lard, crispy bacon and farmyard notes, alongside burnt wood. Lovely, if unsubtle. Also not suitable for vegetarians. I like it better than the first time. 8/10 (Thanks for the dram, Dodo76)

pat gva [about a specific dram with a chemical-fruit taste]: "You like chemistry? You'll be in heaven!"

I manage to escape for a quick bite. Clearly, the warehouse tasting has not left me unscathed...

Paul McCartneux seems well entertained

No comments:

Post a Comment